Saturday 20 September 2008

Almost a hero...

The morning of the trip. Head hurts due to the copious amounts of alcohol consumed last night in celebration of:

1. Finishing work
2. My birthday
3. The impending trip
4. Life
5. Trees
6. Frazzles

I suppose these blog things are really egotistical. I guess they're always gonna be though! That's just the nature of the beast. I won't please everyone with my style of writing I know, but I hope I make some of you smile once in a while with the tales of adventure to come.

So the adventure. It's curious. Two of my managers (Tamsin and Colin) at work have said the same thing when I mentioned me and Neil are inter-railing across Europe 'Inter-railing!! I thought no-one had done that since the 80's!'. Does no-one really do it anymore? Or are we now that detached from the age group that does it that we just don't notice? Our peers are hitting the beach or tables in Vegas. Not scumming it in central Europe. Am I too old for this trip? Birthdays are usually times of reflection for me at the best of times, but especially on the eve of this journey. I guess the test will be how much I enjoy the whole experience; watch this space.

So just a quick mention for M&S. Changed my cash there yesterday. The guy (about 55) behind the counter was as cool as. Asked me where I was going and showed a genuine interest. Made we feel good about the trip. I left with a smile on my face. Customer service - SO undervalued. Anyhoo - enough of the plugs.

God! I've still not packed! I have 5 hours to the off! Enough of this blog (Gareth, apologies if it's still too 'Daily Telegraph', I'll post a picture of a half naked young lady next time to bring it up to the standard of your usual reading of choice ;-) ).

Oh, the almost a hero bit? I was about to catch the Park and ride bus up town yesterday when a little old lady tripped and I half caught her. As a wise friend of mine gleefully pointed out, this also meant that I half dropped her. I DID prevent her from denting the tarmac with her nose however. If only more women threw themselves at me. Preferably ones under the age of 80.

Keep posting guys!

See you on my return. Now where's that spare liver?

3 comments:

Neil said...

lol, love it mate. Amazing how the things we talk about seep there way into the blog. Go on the 'daily telegraph' columnist, Gareth's more a Sun man as we all know!!

Dalton said...

God knows where you will be when you catch up with your blog but hope your having the best time, hope the suns shining and hope the beers cheap.

Caramac said...

Sorry guys it was actually me that made the 'Telegraph' comment, can't just sit here and let Gareth take all the blame... or could i?!!!!
Lovin your work Rich, i see a career in journalism ahead for you. I think you would be ideally suited for the obituary section!!!
Love to you both - stay safe xx