Friday 26 September 2008

..fair well, so long, auf wiedersehen, goodbye...

And so to Austria. We took the train (of course!) from Rome to Padova and then onto Innsbruck. It was about 25c when we left Rome, but only about 10c when we rolled up in Innsbruck; that´s what about 400 miles and 500 metres above sea level will do for you.

Hmmm, Austria. Neil has loved it as I´m sure he´ll tell you all later. Me? Less so, even though it´s still been good. I´ve missed the laid back, chilled out feeling of Paris and Rome. Maybe it was the sun on my back, or just that it was the start of the journey, I don´t know, but god I miss those cities, and Rome in particular. Sure Austria is cleaner and more efficient, but Rome is just soooo chilllled. I will definately return one day.

So, Austria. We arrived late in Innsbruck after a great jouney through the mountains. We found a really cool bar and spent far too much folding stuff getting rather drunk. We met yet another person heading for Oktoberfest, it seems the whole world and her mother is going there. We also chatted to Claudia, a 27 year old architect who is intent on escaping Innsbruck having spent her entire life there. I guess you can have too much of a good thing. If you live with one thing, in one place for so long then it becomes stale. I think in all human endeavour change is a necessity. I´ve always thought that ´happiness´is a transitory state of mind, certainly not to be confused with ´contentment´. I suppose the key is to have just enough change going on in your life all the time.

Anyhoo - back to Austria. We headed for Zell Am See yesterday, scene of one of the episodes from ´Band of brothers´. If you´ve not seen that series you should - it´s incredible. So Zell was amazing, it has a wonderful lake set in the mountains. It was a bit of a shame it was raining though. Following a quick stop at Bischofskofen to take some silly photos of German signage we arrived in Satzburg. Again in was raining :-( which was such a shame as the scenery can´t be fully appreciated when there´s a blanket of cloud covering up the beauty of the mountains.

So let´s sum up Austria. Efficient, clean, but somehow highly strung and far too serious about itself. Yes, Paris and Rome may have smelt of piss - but I love them and always will.

It´s off to Munich this morning for the beer fest! OH MY GOD!!

Neil says ´hi´by the way. Will post again soon. Love to all. xx

5 comments:

Conky said...

"So let´s sum up Austria. Efficient, clean, but somehow highly strung and far too serious about itself. Yes, Paris and Rome may have smelt of piss - but I love them and always will."
----------
I think this is how I have summed up my last few boyfriends hahahaha

Dalton said...

Hope beer fest is everything you hoped it would be. Full of men in lederhosen and buxom wenches serving you beer. Enjoy.

Mouldymuffin! said...

loving the comments. Munich is strange for reasons described in my mail. And oh no Jen,that isn´t good!

Conky said...

dont be so literal!

Conky said...

RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!