Sunday 28 September 2008

Munchen part 2

..ok, that's better. Now, where was I?

So I've gone to the beer festival in the futile hope of bumping into Neil. The beer buzz obtained earlier is beginning to wear off and I'm starting to get a little concerned. No sign of Neil at teh fest so I head back. It's now around 8pm. We have a train to catch to Prague at 5.16am (the time of that train will always be indeliably inprinted on my mind). So I'm wandering around the station, looking for Neil. Time ticks by.....more time ticks by. I'm tired, hungry and starting to worry. Now I don't tend to panic in general. Shit happens, we all know that. But I was now getting worried, and if I'm honest a little scared. I'm in Munich, have lost my buddy, haven't a clue where he is. I have my passport but no bag; Neil had the locker key. I have some Euros but not enough to get home if required. My inter-rail ticket was in my bag. I'm worried for myself and I'm worried for Neil.

For those of you that don't really know Neil that much, he's a genuine, responsible bloke. There's no way he'd ever leave a friend stranded. So where the fuck is he!!!? He's either dead in a ditch, been pinched by the busies (nicked) or in hospital. 9pm comes and goes. 10, 11.......then I see loads of people emerging from the Metro and I'm thinking that maybe he's gone to the Fest and will now come back once it kicks out. He doesn't. 12, 1, 2....3, 4....I'm cold. Deperate. I havent slept. I'm trying hard not to panic. I figure he might get back in time for the train. 5.16am. He doesn't. It was the longest night of my life and not an experience I'd want to repeat. I'm just about to phone Jen to ask her if there's a Consulate in Munich, or get a number for the one in Berlin when who appears from nowhere but Neil. Now to say I was relieved is a massive understatement. It was like a scene from 'From here to eternity', lol. We gave each other a massive hug like we'd been seperated for years. And no, it wasn't gay. lol. I've not been scared like that for years, maybe since I was a boy. Man, it was a freaky experience. There are so many more feelings about that night that I'd like to convey, but can only really tell the full story face to face (esp. as I'm getting shafted for 2 Czech crowns a minute here, lol!). I'll leave it to Neil to explain what happened to him.

So a quick word on Prague. Amazing. There, that's a quick word. It's awesome. I love it nearly as much as Rome. The people, the buildings, the laid back atmos - just brill.

Anyhoo, I'm off to enjoy it. I'll try and post tomorrow.

Take care all

4 comments:

Conky said...

christonacracker...i cant believe u didnt call me for help! that must have been the shittiest night...
im glad you both are ok...WHAT A STORY THOUGH!!!!!!!!!

Brooksie said...

Sounds like you're having a great time and the trip is everything you hoped it would be. I wouldn't volunteer to be a cub leader though, if you can't keep two adults together!! Looking forward to hearing these stories in more detail when we all return to work (which is pretty dull at the moment). Enjoy the rest of your trip and I'll see you on the 6th when I return from sunny Portugal!

Mouldymuffin! said...

lmfao. No douby we´ll enjoy regaling (sp) the stories when we return.

Caramac said...

Just a thought - do you not both have active mobile phones over there???? xx